[OpenDesign] Open Design Definition @ Fab* @ Future Everything

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Fri Jun 22 17:04:59 UTC 2012

Hi Stuart,
thanks for the mail and the reflections!
I've now added you to the Github organization, please let me know if you
have any further problem! :)

Best,

Massimo

On 6/21/12 2:40 PM, Stuart Childs wrote:
> Hi Massimo, all,
>
> I am having trouble contributing to the github working group.
>
> My user name is: stuartchilds
>
> Can I please be added to the group?
>

> Also - to add to Massimo's notes and thoughts about our discussion at Fab*:
>
> It was interesting to talk about legalities and note the difference
> between a 'definition' and a 'license'.
>
> At what point may a definition influence, or change / define a legal
> 'license' or way of protecting one's work?
>
> If there is limited legal protection offered by an open design
> definition, what are the other values of using it? What does 'using' an
> open design definition mean to the users, and the audience / others who
> come across the usage?
>
> What is a 'community standard' ?
>
> It was interesting to discuss the different aspects of 'open design' and
> what these could be / mean.
>
> Something that caught my attention: using parametric design software
> that generates / outputs design files according to set variables. Should
> the outputs of these programs, ie the content they generate, be licensed
> / shared in the same way as the parent / original software that produces
> them?
>
> Differences in international laws concerning copyright, patent and other
> protective legal licensing can make licensing works difficult -
> particularly when shared online.
>
> There was some discussion over Creative Commons licensing - do these
> licenses facilitate sharing, or make things more complicated?
>
> As well as contributing to the definition on github - when I / you get
> access, we were encouraged to run individual / local open design
> definition meet ups - I like this idea as it may encourage other user
> groups to get involved - that may not otherwise find out about the
> github workgroup or this discussion list.
>
> Stuart
>
> --
> Stuart Childs
>
> +44 777 911 4531
>
> http://stuartchilds.com/
>
> http://twitter.com/sc_r <https://twitter.com/#!/sc_r>
>

> LASER CUTTING PROJECT
> http://sniject.wikispaces.com/

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655 (FIN) +358 505981442
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
Aalto University
Aalto Media Factory - Aalto FabLab (Producer for the FabLab activities)
http://mediafactory.aalto.fi/
http://fablab.aalto.fi/
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/