[OpenDesign] Hello + Re: Bram Geenen

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Mar 27 21:08:42 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 08:57 PM, Bram Geenen wrote:
> I agree that there is a need for streamlining the process of sharing a
> design.  Sometimes I worry that standardizing file formats reduces
> variety and possibilities, but it could help out a lot.

Standardized, open formats maximize the number of combinations that can
be made and thereby maximize potential variety and possibilities.

> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Stuart Childs <stuchilds at googlemail.com
> <mailto:stuchilds at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     - does hardware provide us with different challenges to licensing
>     and sharing issues that cause problems with open source licensing?

The limits on what can be copyrighted are different, and are poorly
understood by most people. The need to tackle patents is just as strong.

>     - can hardcore FOSS / FLOSS ideals have adverse effects on the
>     design process, or the opposite? [for example, I am more inclined to
>     use the term 'open hardware' more than 'open source hardware' ]

They have had beneficial effects in other areas that they have been
applied to. Surely the value of Open [Source] design is to do the same
for design?

- Rob.