[OpenDesign] question on the definition scope

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Wed Nov 7 17:26:07 UTC 2012

Dear Aymeric,
thank you for your mail and welcome to the Open Design Working Group!
I think that your experience and knowledge will be very valuable for us!

Regarding your questions, I finally had time to reply to the issues on
GitHub.
There is no draft beside the GitHub repository because we want everybody
to be able to access all the material in order to make the discussion
really open (and it is much better to have everything in the same place!).

About the scope, we would like to address not just product design but
also other fields (graphic design, interior design, service design ...)
where Open Source principles and practices are adopted. Check this
presentation about the project:
http://www.slideshare.net/openp2pdesign/open-design-definition-workshop-open-knowledge-festival-2012

For more discussion regarding this topic, check these issue:
https://github.com/OpenDesign-WorkingGroup/Open-Design-Definition/issues/11

Finally, regarding an Open Design license, there isn't anything done
yet. There will be probably a specific project for it, since most likely
it will be difficult to have only one license for any kind of Open
Design (since legally the topic is quite complex).

Best regards,

Massimo

On 07/11/12 1:01 PM, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> TL;DR: Is the definition meant to address the different fields of
> design, or is it only focussed on the production of physical objects and
> the technolegal infrastructure required for it, therefore excluding
> other areas and practices such as graphic design?
>

> Long: Hello everyone, I've been involved in free culture related
> projects for more than a decade (Puredyne,[^1] make art,[^2]
> FLOSS+Art,[^3] a.o.) currently researching the impact of free and open
> source software on art/design/music/writing practices as part of a PhD
> at Goldsmiths, University of London.[^4]
>
> The reason for this mail is my current role as advisor for a new BA
> curriculum at the Willem de Kooning Academie in Rotterdam, NL. One
> component of the curriculum is on open design.  One question that we are
> asking ourselves is the actual scope of open design. It seems to me
> that, while the effort of your project mentions several areas of
> design,[^5] the open design community, as a whole, still feels very
> close to the open hardware and 3D printing scenes. In that sense, a
> definition would be, indeed, very much welcome.
>
> However as we are drafting the curriculum at the moment, we would very
> much like to align our effort with yours to avoid adding more noise and
> reinvent the wheel (possibly 3D printing it eventually). So I would be
> very grateful if you could tell me if this has already been
> discussed/agreed or if the scope of the definition is still being
> debated. I am also wondering if next to the github repos, there has been
> any draft of the definition produced yet.
>
> This is quite crucial for us as we need to address open design from
> several angle in this educational context. For instance, one thing that
> comes to my mind when associating open design in the context of graphic
> design is the effort from one of our graduate student at the Piet Zwart
> Institute, Emanuele Bonetti, who researched collaborative graphic design
> processes borrowing ideas from different software development
> practices.[^6] Another example would be the work of Máirín Duffy, at Red
> Hat, who has been busy with the role, methodologies, and platforms
> necessary for graphic designers to contribute to FLOSS projects.[^7]
>
> To sum up, any hints on how you are approaching this issue would be very
> helpful to us! I did find an issue on github that asks the same question,
> but there was no follow-up.[^8]
>
> (Additionally, I am also curious about which licenses you might be
> eventually suggesting for open design, more precisely if you intend to
> point to the OKFN's in-house OKD or if you will also integrate other
> efforts such as the defition for free culture works/licenses)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best,
> a.
> --
> http://su.kuri.mu
>
> [^1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puredyne

> [...]

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655 (FIN) +358 505981442
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
Aalto University
Aalto Media Factory - Aalto FabLab (Producer for the FabLab activities)
http://mediafactory.aalto.fi/
http://fablab.aalto.fi/
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/