[OpenDesign] question on the definition scope

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Nov 7 22:24:07 UTC 2012

On 11/07/2012 05:26 PM, Massimo Menichinelli wrote:

> Finally, regarding an Open Design license, there isn't anything done
> yet. There will be probably a specific project for it, since most likely
> it will be difficult to have only one license for any kind of Open
> Design (since legally the topic is quite complex).

I'd caution against creating new licenses for design. For hardware it's
not clear that the GPLv3 can be improved on (despite people's efforts),
and for graphic design CC's Free Culture offerings (CC0/BY/BY-SA)
provide a good range of options.

It might be worth raising the issue of design rights with Creative
Commons if that is a motivation for considering other licenses. They are
currently drafting the fourth revision of their licenses so now is the
ideal time to do so.

- Rob.