[OpenDesign] research on application of open design processes

Jorge Toledo jortogar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 20:28:40 UTC 2012

Hi, Bram

That's a VERY interesting challenge, and there are more and more people getting interested and involved into it. We can be inspired by software forges, but they can't be just copied, I think collaboration in design can get much more complex. No platform is able to solve all the needs yet, and I'm not sure it's even possible, at least in the way it is being done now.

I can recall some examples that you may look at for some inspiration:

- ColaDi (http://coladi.inevo.pt), which combines Apache Wave protocol with some extra viewing and annotation features, as well as content management and other features.

- OpeningDesign (http://app.openingdesign.com/). It's in an early stage but it seems to be moving towards a similar direction. It already has a collaborative file management and version control system, with some viewing and real-time notes features. No extra "social" features as far as I can see.

- Wikihouse (http://www.wikihouse.cc/). It has a section ("browse designs") where people can submit versions of different pieces, but otherwise it isn't yet what I would call a "forge". It's a very specific type of design (architectural) and the website is more devoted to communication/dissemination than collaboration. But for me as an architect, it's specially interesting to see projects like this.

Hope this is helpful. I would love to continue this conversation.

Best,

Jorge