[OpenDesign] research on application of open design processes

Jorge Toledo jortogar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:58:51 UTC 2012

At a first glance, it looks like a kind of a "chicken or the egg" question
to me. But after reflecting on it for a while, I think I quite agree with
Peter.

For people that are already interested and even involved into these topics,
it may look more like a technical question (I know WHAT I want to achieve
and WHY I want it, now the question for me is HOW). At least that's what
usually happens to me.

But I think the "community first" approach does totally apply here. It's
the community who can start a process of change, a project or even a
movement, both by "scratching their own itch" and by seeing the point of it
all –the general interest, the common good...– and becoming advocates.

As an example, in architecture (which is what I know more closely) the free
software development is really scarce. There are huge technical challenges
(we are used to very complex and feature-rich programs), but above all
there's just not enough interest, not enough "hacker spirit", so why would
a programmer get involved in a FLOSS project for architects, if architects
themselves don't see the point of doing that?

I'd say it's crucial that design professionals begin to get interested in
the "why" and "what for" of opening both their tools, their knowledge,
their creations, their way of working... And that's more a community issue
than a technical one.

Of course, if a small, young and still weak community hits agains a huge
technical or methodological challenge, it won't be able to overcome it in
one step, even in a very long one, and it may even come to a halt. The best
approach I can imagine here, regarding technology and methodology, is
starting low, rough and short, and trying to *experience* the benefits of
openness and freedom in that small scale, so the community can gather
enough energy and interest to jump into something bigger.

And yes, there's a lot to be done. We will need to be capable of enjoying
uncertainity and unanswered questions ;)

Best,