[OpenDesign] overview of Fab Labs

Laura James lbjames at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 06:32:19 UTC 2012

Do you mean FabLabs, or other spaces?  There's a pretty diverse
ecosystem of such spaces, from TechShops to hackspaces, and FabLab is
an interesting classification which overlaps with some hackspaces but
not others. It's pretty much the only term (other than TechShop which
I think must be trademarked) which has a specific and concrete
meaning, too.

There are self-declared lists such as
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_ALL_Hacker_Spaces

I have no idea if there's any formal literature but I'd be keen to see
it if you find any; the closest I've found is
http://surveys.peerproduction.net/2012/07/mapping-hackers-diy-community-survey-2012-results/6/
  I'm hoping to do a study this autumn into the terminology
"makerspace" and "hackspace" and how people understand and use the
terms, at least within the UK, because I've come across a lot of very
different understandings - to be expected at this stage of the
evolution of the concept but as more spaces and communities set up,
something that needs to shake out soon.

Laura