[Open Design + Hardware] [Open Design & Hardware] Invitation to lead a session at Mozfest this Oct in London

Christian Villum christian.villum at okfn.org
Wed Aug 28 17:05:37 UTC 2013

Hi Aleksander,

Thanks for your compliments - and also your critique, I've actually never
been confronted with such thoughtful comments on this topic before, very
interesting. I realize there is indeed a gap in semantics and linguistics
between many communities of pop culture and the more established
professional circles, although I guess I've subconsciously relied on the
increasing convergence of these arenas. My approach towards the technology
world is and has always been autodidact and I get my inspiration from the
Interwebz...sorry, the World Wide Web ;) - so I've never before given much
thought towards my methodology and appropriateness in adopting new concepts
and words when they hit my screen every day.

As for the exact meaning of these words, then it may very well be that I am
using them wrong, and I am happy to plea guilty to that. Your examples of
ambiguous use are spot on and I can definitely see your point. But I think
that these words often serve the meaning you put into them as part of a
context, and moreover, I don't care too much in this particular context.
Working groups/discussion lists are in my perception meant as ways to
bounce off ideas and co-create something that, in this case, could later
potentially become a finalized text or coherent idea if anyone took up the
challenge to bounce thoughts back. Quick notes and brainstormings are
rarely meant to be taken too literally, but rather inspire a conversation
about what could become a shared project with shared definitions. I guess
what I am getting at is that I see the ever-changing Internet-lingo as a
sort of techno-slang, which is always open to interpretation. Just like
referring to a dj as "sick" doesn't necessarily mean that the guy needs a
doctor ;) Of course there are many views on meanings and definitions, like
you also point out - and yours is a welcome one and undoubtedly more
accurate.

Either way, thanks for bringing this up, always inspiring to be challenged
a bit. It is food for thought indeed.

Lastly, it would be really fun to have such conversations off-screen and I
am sure others would find great joy in taking part in them too. Maybe we
should we propose a session at MozFest to discuss technology slang and
lingo? Survey, brainstorm or hacking-session, you decide! ;)

-Christian

--

Christian Villum

Community Manager, Open Government Data + Local Groups Network
skype: christianvillum  |  @villum <http://www.twitter.com/villum>
*Empowering through Open Knowledge
*http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on

*Have you registered for OKCon 2013 <http://okcon.org/>?*