[Open Design] Two simple questions about The Definition

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Mon Mar 4 15:43:19 UTC 2013

Furthermore, I think that it is a great thing to learn from Open Source
software and see how we can extend it to different fields, but we should
not make the conversion directly without any reflection. Software and
Design have different processes, laws, communities, cultures and so on,
so bringing Open Source into Design should be a deeper process than just
applying the label "Open". That's why we are thinking collaboratively
about defining Open Design.

Massimo

On 3/4/13 5:23 PM, Massimo Menichinelli wrote:
> Hi Petri,
> there are many reasons for developing an Open Design definition. Some of
> them are similar to the reasons for developing an Open Definition (Open
> Source, Open Data, Open Hardwre, ...) for example stating in a clear and
> shared way what it is (there is a lot of confusion about it), how we
> should/could address it, maybe clarifying the situation regarding IP law
> for it, localizing its position regarding other forms of Open Knowledge.
> And more important for me, building a community around the concept of
> Open Design that has a shared agreement about it and it is the starting
> point for other projects and collaboration.
>
> We are doing in a collaborative way in order to have a shared decision
> about it, instead of having one-way communication of what Open Design is.
>
> Massimo

>>> Defining it just because it can be defined or derived is not a good
>>> answer either.
>>
>> Legitimizing our statuses as designers is a bad answer.

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655 (FIN) +358 505981442
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
Aalto University
Aalto Media Factory - Aalto FabLab (Producer for the FabLab activities)
http://mediafactory.aalto.fi/
http://fablab.aalto.fi/
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/