[Open Design] Open Design Year One: Hardware, Tools, Communities

Kat Braybrooke kat.braybrooke at gmail.com
Thu May 2 17:08:52 UTC 2013

Hi again Open Design community!

A quick notification that  to celebrate the Open Design Working Group's
first year in existence and to showcase the great work you've all done,
we've put together a piece that summarises some of the work our 100+
members have gotten up to in the past year, as well as new opportunities
for how you can get involved.

Post here:
http://design.okfn.org/2013/05/02/opendesignyearone/

Quick summary:
The past year has been busy - we launched v0.1 of the Open Design
Definition, held Github workshops across Europe, delivered a keynote
lecture at LibreGraphics in Madrid, did a lot of arguing about design
paradigms, planned a new design hardware challenge in France and helped run
the first Design/Hardware/Fabbing topic stream at the Open Knowledge
Festival in Finland. This year, we're focused on fostering the Open Design
community in new ways, from building local installments to participating in
MOOCs to inviting design practitioners to feature their works in new and
unexpected ways.

Final verdict:
This year, we hope to see even more activity across paradigms, especially
from design + hardware practitioners, makers and fabbers in the Global
South. We'd love to hear your ideas and figure out new forms of
local/global engagement, so please let us know what you think.

Thanks for all your great participation so far, and we look forward to the
next stage!

- Massimo, Primavera and Kat

hi, i'm: @kat_braybrooke <http://twitter.com/kat_braybrooke> | find me at:
kaibray.com