[Open Design + Hardware] legal paper on design

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Thu Jan 16 17:10:24 UTC 2014

Hi Tom (and all),
I've finally had the time to read 2-3 times your paper, so I finally can
reply. First of all, thank you very much for sharing it, and thanks for
the effort of making clearer this topic of IP and Open Design. I would
say that this is a big step forward for all of us, even if the paper
considers only the European context it is the first real research I've
encountered on the issue (so it's really a milestone!).

It has been very useful for me in order to work on the Open Design
Definition. If you remember it, we were about to specify all the
different forms of IP that can be applied to any design project, and
what to do with each form of IP in order to share the project and make
it Open Design. I hope to have understood well your paper, I've used a
lot of content from it, please have a look at the last version of the
Open Design Definition here:

https://github.com/OpenDesign-WorkingGroup/Open-Design-Definition/blob/master/open.design_definition/open.design.definition.md

Please also remember that you can directly edit in the browser the file
by going to this link:
https://github.com/OpenDesign-WorkingGroup/Open-Design-Definition/edit/master/open.design_definition/open.design.definition.md

But you can also reply to this e-mail, and I will work on the definition
considering your e-mails.
We still need to focus on the patents, trade mark and trade dress before
completing this section (and therefore the real first version of the
definition, let's say that it will be with version 0.5).

Look forward to reading your comments on the topic! :)

Best regards,

Massimo

Il 02/12/13 16:10, t. ha scritto:
> Dear all,
>
> a paper on legal aspects of design rights and copyright in the EU, with
> some creative commons licenses. A bit long, but should be of some
> interests to this list.
>
> http://ssrn.com/abstract=2361682
>

> Best,
>
> tom

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/