[Open Design + Hardware] Products as Platforms, Workshop at DIS2014, 21-22 June 2014, Vancouver Canada

Serena Cangiano serenacangiano at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 16:17:06 UTC 2014

Dear all,

i forward you the call for registrations to the workshop i am presenting at
DIS2014, the ACM conference on designing interactive systems, on 21 and 22
June. The conference topic is Crafting design and i supposed it can be of
interest for you: http://dis2014.iat.sfu.ca/
The workshop is an experiment and it part of my doctoral research.
I hope you can spread the call around.
I know that flying to Vancouver is not very affordable...
I will try to make a version of the workshop also in Europe, i will keep
you updated.

Please feel free to post me questions and doubts on the contents. We can
use the mailing list for further discussions.

thank you
serena

*Products as Platforms, Workshop at DIS2014, 21-22 June 2014, Vancouver
Canada**www.products-platforms.org <http://www.products-platforms.org>*
*// Call for registrations *We are glad to invite you to register for the
two days workshop "Products as Platforms, a Framework for designing open
source interactive artifacts", on Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd June 2014.
The workshop is scheduled in the program of DIS2014, the ACM conference on
Designing interactive systems, that will take place from 21st to 25th June
2014 in Vancouver, Canada.
*//Abstract*What are the levels of configuration of an open source
interactive artifacts and the design opportunities activated by the open
source ecosystem: hardware, software, platforms and communities? Practices
related to open source hardware and software, open design, and digital
fabrication are increasingly affecting the way things are designed and
produced. In the domain of open source technological products, paradigms
are emerging where customization is combined with personal fabrication,
product development is expanded by co-design, open licenses replace the
patents system. We assume that the impact of those paradigms activate
opportunities for developing novel design approaches that consider products
at the same way of prototyping platforms.
*//Goal*The workshop aims to engage participants in an experimental process
where they conceive interactive products/platforms, open source artifacts
that users can modify or build upon thanks to an ecosystem of shared
documentation, services and licenses. In particular, participants will
focus on the definition of solutions for facilitating the configuration,
customization and reproduction of the interactive product, discussing the
limits and the opportunities of the current open source practices and
solutions. The workshop reflects on the integration of the human centered
design approach with the open source culture and proposes a framework for
guiding the process of designing innovative open source products.
*//Structure*Through discussions and hands on activities supported by
conceptual and design tools, participants will learn how to leverage the
design opportunities offered by the open source ecosystem in order to
define both concepts and high-fidelity and low-fidelity prototypes of
innovative interactive products. More information about the program
structure are available here. *//Registration fee*The registration fee for
the two days workshop is:Non Member: $280ACM/SIGCHI Member: $280Student:
$240Registrations to the conference and the workshop are open. Please
register here.
*//Workshop dates*Saturday 21st JuneSunday 22nd June *//Application
deadline*Friday 28th March
*//More information*serena.cangiano at supsi.ch