[Open Design + Hardware] Open Design Definition @ OKFestival 2014

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Fri May 23 14:04:19 UTC 2014

Dear Magdalena,
we can make a Skype call on June 2nd or 23rd (I'm busy or travelling all
the other days unfortunately). My skype username is openp2pdesign.org.
Please let me know if it is ok for you.

Best regards,

Massimo

Il 20/05/14 14:51, Magdalena Reiter ha scritto:
> [...]
>>>
>>>     I am arguing (in a model developed with colleagues) that “open” has
>>>     two dimensions, open access and open contribution and that the
>>>     discussion on open design has been focused too much on the “access”
>>>     dimension and not sufficiently on the “contribution” dimension — or
>>>     in more detail: that the contribution dimension stops at “co-design”
>>>     or any other designer-led format but fails to develop “open design”
>>>     beyond a situation where designers are not in the lead (for the sake
>>>     of the argument I understand “facilitation” as “lead”). Imho, in a
>>>     real open design situation designers should only provide the
>>>     methods, but not apply/execute them (facilitation).
>>>

>>>     [1] Raustiala, K. and Sprigman, C.J. (2012). The Piracy Paradox:
>>>     Innovation and Intellectual Property in Fashion Design. Virginia Law
>>>     Review, (92) 8, pp. 1687-1777, online at
>>> http://www.virginialawreview.org/content/pdfs/92/1687.pdf (accessed
>>>     20 September 2012).
>>>

>>>     On 12 May 2014, at 18:48, Massimo Menichinelli
>>>     <massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
>>> <mailto:massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     > Dear all,
>>>     > I proposed a workshop for discussing the Open Design Definition
>>> at OKFestival 2014 in Berlin, and the workshop was accepted. The bad
>>> news is, even if I would really love to meet you all there,
>>> unfortunately I cannot make it to Berlin for the Festival this year.
>>> I had a change in plans and I will move to a new city just 1 day
>>> after the Festival, so it is really hard for me to be there. It would
>>> be great therefore if any of you is going to be at the Festival and
>>> would like to facilitate an Open Design Definition workshop.
>>>     > There is no need to do a lot of work, maybe we will complete
>>> the definition at a later stage (maybe with another workshop at the
>>> Open Hardware Summit for example?), but it would be great to have a
>>> discussion on its current status and how it could be improved.
>>> Everything can be done just with issues and comments on GitHub, so
>>> there is no need for using Git: everything can be done like it were a
>>> Facebook group (but if you want, you can edit the code directly
>>> online or with fork/pull request of course).
>>>     > For the workshop, you can even access the project and work with
>>> a mobile:
>>>     > GitHub for Android:http://mobile.github.com/
>>>     > GitHub for iPhone:http://ioctocat.com/
>>>     >
>>>     > As you can read from the previous e-mail below, now the most
>>> important part of the definition regards how it is possible to deal
>>> with intellectual property for making Open Design possible. This is
>>> the most critical part where we need more discussion, especially with
>>> IP experts. But other parts of the definition can still be discussed
>>> of course.
>>>     >
>>>     > Is anybody interested in facilitating this workshop?
>>>     > If you are interested in this, please let me know and I will

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli