[Open Design + Hardware] Shared machines in Guardian and a PhD studentship

Kat Braybrooke kat.braybrooke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 23:19:16 UTC 2015

Hello open design folk!

Two small things that may be of interest to this group:

1) I've just published a piece in the Guardian about the importance of
shared machine shops and hands-on, open collaboration in an Apple-saturated
world. It was hard to fit everything into 800 words but I hoped it was a
good starting point at least! In any case, would love the opinions of folks
on this list, given you are all already doing wonderful work in these areas
already!

gu.com/p/4egvn/stw
2) The second thing, a doctoral research position:

The London Doctoral Design Centre (LDoc) is an AHRC-funded centre for
doctoral training, a collaboration between the Royal College of Art,
Kingston University and the University of Arts London.

The Centre offers PhD studentships and enhanced doctoral training with a
focus on practice-led research in Design.  Applications for 2016 entry are
open, see ldoc-cdt.ac.uk/how-to-apply/

- Kat