[Open Design + Hardware] Looking for experts on open source business models

Bram Geenen info at bramgeenen.com
Thu Oct 15 13:20:38 UTC 2015

Hi Christian, super interesting program!
I've cc'ed Benjamin Tinq, co-founder of Ouishare and POC21. He did a
workshop on business models at the OSHWA conference.

As for myself, I wouldn't call me an expert on the subject, yet I have a
bit of experience and many touchpoints with startups using Wevolver to
share their open hardware.
I'm happy to share my knowledge with you.

Bram

(I recently wrote the following super short intro to someone who was
interested to learn more:)

*Business Models & Reasons for Open Hardware*
*Reasons to share & create Open Hardware*
*- Altruistism & philosophical reasons*
*- To get collaborations on development, access to needed skills and
knowledge*
*- To reach an audience & build a community*
*- As a business strategy around community building, goodwill, branding*
*- As a business strategy around building an R&D community, access to
talent*
*- As a strategy to create open standards or industry standards*
*(Often there is a combination of motives)*
*Business Models*
*Around Open Hardware a plethora of business models are starting to
crystalize.*
*Open Hardware presents economic opportunities given the fact that physical
components, materials and manufacturing services are still necessary to
create the open source products.*
*Examples include*

   - *selling open hardware products, that are costly or very difficult to
   make yourself. e.g. Ultimaker 3D printers*
   - *selling kits or components of open hardware products. e.g. OpenROV*
   - *making simplified versions of commercial products open source for
   outreach and community building. e.g. Exiii Hackberry prosthesis*

*Less hardware specific are the 8 generative values that can form the basis
for economic models around free content, as listed by Kevin Kelly.
http://kk.org/thetechnium/2008/01/better-than-fre/
<http://kk.org/thetechnium/2008/01/better-than-fre/>*

   - *Immediacy*
   - *Personalization *