[Open Design + Hardware] Looking for experts on open source business models

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Thu Oct 15 22:41:02 UTC 2015

In 2010-2011 I wrote a blog post about business models for Open Hardware.
It is of course a bit outdated (and now I see some videos have
disappeared), but it could have some interesting resources regarding the
topic:

http://www.openp2pdesign.org/2011/open-design/business-models-for-open-hardware/

Br,

Massimo

Il 15/10/15 15:39, lara ha scritto:
> hi,
>
> perhaps this can help:
> http://www.artfactories.net/IMG/pdf/SharedCulture_web.pdf
>
> and this (a bit outdated but could be a lead to christian ahlert et al):
> https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/5671
> http://www.slideshare.net/Stefano.Mizzella/openbusiness-christian-ahlert
>
> best,
> lara
>

> On 15/10/15 14:20, Bram Geenen wrote:
>> Hi Christian, super interesting program!
>> I've cc'ed Benjamin Tinq, co-founder of Ouishare and POC21. He did a
>> workshop on business models at the OSHWA conference.
>>
>> As for myself, I wouldn't call me an expert on the subject, yet I have a
>> bit of experience and many touchpoints with startups using Wevolver to
>> share their open hardware.
>> I'm happy to share my knowledge with you.
>>
>> Bram
>>
>> (I recently wrote the following super short intro to someone who was
>> interested to learn more:)
>>
>> /*Business Models & Reasons for Open Hardware*/
>> /*Reasons to share & create Open Hardware*/
>> /- Altruistism & philosophical reasons/
>> /- To get collaborations on development, access to needed skills and
>> knowledge/
>> /- To reach an audience & build a community/
>> /- As a business strategy around community building, goodwill, branding/
>> /- As a business strategy around building an R&D community, access to
>> talent/
>> /- As a strategy to create open standards or industry standards/
>> /(Often there is a combination of motives)/
>> //
>> /*Business Models*/
>> /Around Open Hardware a plethora of business models are starting to
>> crystalize./
>> /Open Hardware presents economic opportunities given the fact that
>> physical components, materials and manufacturing services are still
>> necessary to create the open source products./
>> /Examples include/
>>
>>    * /selling open hardware products, that are costly or very difficult
>>      to make yourself. e.g. Ultimaker 3D printers/
>>    * /selling kits or components of open hardware products. e.g. OpenROV/
>>    * /making simplified versions of commercial products open source for
>>      outreach and community building. e.g. Exiii Hackberry prosthesis/
>>
>> /
>> /
>> /Less hardware specific are the 8 generative values that can form the
>> basis for economic models around free content, as listed by Kevin Kelly.
>> http://kk.org/thetechnium/2008/01/better-than-fre//
>>
>>    * /Immediacy/
>>    * /Personalization /
>>    * /Interpretation/
>>    * /Authenticity/
>>    * /Accessibility instead of ownership/
>>    * /Embodiment /
>>    * /Patronage /
>>    * /Findability & Aggregation/
>>

>> Wevolver
>> Somerset House, West Goods Entrance
>> Victoria Embankment
> [...]

Massimo Menichinelli
mobile: (ITA) +39 3402971655
Skype: openp2pdesign.org
http://it.linkedin.com/in/massimomenichinelli
openp2pdesign.org
Metadesign for Open Systems, Processes, Projects
http://www.openp2pdesign.org/