[Open Design + Hardware] New definition for open design

Aleksandar Kovač alex.ecorrespondence at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 08:55:11 UTC 2015

Thank you very much for sharing your work, Tanja!
It sounds like very promising (and hefty!) work, please keep it up!

I’d like to refer you to our paper on a designer’s position in the open source paradigm that I hope can be helpful in your work and I think parallels and complements your three layers nicely. After an exciting ride through our methodology ;), in its conclusion it proposes a general model of social adaptive behavior for a designer in the “open”:

1. Designer’s cultivation - designer’s ability to do ground-work in the open paradigm.
2. Designer’s socialization - designer’s ability to design *with* the open community.
3. Designer’s initiative - designer’s ability to design *within* the open source paradigm.

Hope this is useful.
If you need more input from me, I’m happy to help.

alex

-- Designing With and Within a Community - by Kovač Aleksandar, Kittiwongsunthorn Warruntorn, Katsuhiko Kushi, Kyoto Institute of Technology. (Bulletin of Japanese Society for the Science of Design, Vol. 60 (2014) No. 5 p. 5_93-5_102)

---
Aleksandar Kovač