[Open Design + Hardware] Applications open for Gathering for Open Science Hardware, 10-13 October 2018 in Shenzhen, China.

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Tue May 1 08:32:33 UTC 2018

Dear All

*I'm contacting you on behalf of the organizing committee for GOSH 2018,
the Gathering for Open Science Hardware taking place over four consecutive
days 10-13 October 2018 in Shenzhen, China. We would like to invite you to
apply to join another 100 active users, developers and thinkers in open
hardware for science to benefit research, education, and science
engagement.GOSH is an ongoing meeting series designed to support a stronger
and more collaborative community in open hardware for science. In 2016, we
convened for the first time at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland and then in
Santiago, Chile for GOSH 2017. These meetings have led to the creation of
the GOSH Manifesto <http://openhardware.science/gosh-manifesto/>and the
Global Open Science Hardware Roadmap
<http://openhardware.science/global-open-science-hardware-roadmap/>, a
burgeoning community, and ongoing individual and organizational
collaborations. In 2018, we will continue to explore the diversity of
existing projects, share best practices, and identify needs with those
engaged in making and using open hardware within research institutions and
beyond. We’ll listen to user stories and developer journeys, host a series
of workshops on topics such as sharing and licensing, design for
manufacture and scaling.  For more information and to apply using our
lightweight form please see http://openhardware.science/
<http://openhardware.science/> or apply directly here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSetOXUiwNcPfnm0GnYvLtAXdClWMnIhigUvrqmLEQZUOD9R1A/viewform>.
Applicants from China can fill out the application via a MikeCRM form
<http://cn.mikecrm.com/HPUli8D> if preferred. The deadline for applications
is 20 May 2018 and invitations will be sent out by mid-June 2018. We have
limited space and will aim to ensure representation from different sectors,
disciplines and regions as noted in the application form. There will be an
opportunity to participate in some sessions remotely for those who are
unable to join us in China.There is an optional registration cost of $250
USD for those who can either afford to personally or through their
organization pay it. This money will support travel for those who could not
otherwise attend GOSH. Additional donations are very welcome. There
currently is limited travel funding available and we will be able to assist
on an as needed basis if this would otherwise be a barrier to your
participation. Let us know on the form if funding assistance would be
useful to you. If you know of an organization which might be willing to
sponsor GOSH, please let us know.Please send this invitation to appropriate
lists and individuals. You can contact us at
organizers at openhardware.science with any questions. In the meantime, you
can connect with the community via our Forum
<https://forum.openhardware.science/> (https://forum.openhardware.science/
<https://forum.openhardware.science/>) and @GOSHCommunity
<https://twitter.com/goshcommunity> on Twitter. Best wishesThe GOSH 2018
organizing committee: - Jenny Molloy, University of Cambridge- Shannon
Dosemagen, Public Lab- Ji Li, Open FIESTA, Tsinghua University- David Li,
Shenzhen Open Innovation Lab- Vicky Xie, Shenzhen Open Innovation Lab-
Francois Grey, University of Geneva and CERN- Fernán Federici, Pontificia
Universidad Católica de Chile- Greg Austic, Our Sci- Marc Dusseiller,
HackteriaAbout GOSHThe Gathering for Open Science Hardware (GOSH) is a
diverse, global community working to enhance the sharing of open,
scientific technologies. Apply to join us for our third annual meeting in
Shenzhen, China, 10-13 October 2018! Hardware forms a vital part of the
scientific experimental process but unfortunately the current supply chain
limits access and impedes creativity and customization through high
mark-ups and proprietary designs. Open source hardware addresses part of
this problem through sharing open designs for everything from microscopes
and biomaterials to spectrometers and sensors.  GOSH 2018 in Shenzhen is
our third annual meeting, convening a growing number of people around the
world who are developing and using open hardware in the context of the
wider movement for Open Science. We are bringing together up to 100 of the
most active global thought leaders, developers, researchers, community
convenors and other actors who can expand the reach of Open Science
Hardware within academic research, citizen science and education.
 Participants will join together as a community for four days to explore
our 2018 theme ‘scaling hardware, growing community’. We will conduct a
series of themed discussion groups, practical workshops and trips to local
Shenzhen businesses that can offer lessons and support for scaling Open
Science Hardware. GOSH has potential to broaden who can do science and for
what purposes in addition to improving quality and reproducibility of
experimental observations. We invite you to be a part of the Gathering and
the GOSH
Community.GOSH(开放科学硬件大会)是一个多元化的全球社区,致力于加强开放科学技术的共享。请申请参加我们在2018年10月10日至13日在中国深圳举行的第三届年会!硬件构成了科学实验过程的重要组成部分,但不幸的是,当前的供应链通过高标价和专有设计来限制访问并阻碍创造性和定制化。开源硬件通过共享开放式设计来解决这个问题的一部分,从显微镜和生物材料到光谱仪和传感器。GOSH
将于2018年在深圳展开第三次年会,召集了越来越多的世界各地正在开放和使用开放式硬件的开放式科学运动背景下的人们。我们将组织最多100个活动参加者,活动参加者涵盖最活跃的全球思想领袖,开发人员,研究人员,社区召集人和其他参与者,他们可以在学术研究,公民科学和教育,等领域扩大开放科学硬件的范围。参与者将组成一起探索的社区参加这次的4天探索活动。探索我们的2018年主题“扩展硬件,发展社区”。我们将开展一系列主题讨论小组,实践研讨会,拜访深圳的当地的企业。这些企业将提供硬件课程和为扩大开放科学硬件提供经支持。GOSH
希望能通过这次活动,让人们以更平滑的方式参加到科学活动中去。这次将会是一次实践以及实验性的活动。我们诚邀您成为 GOSH 的一员。*