[Open Design + Hardware] Call for papers "Open & Distributed + Design & Production | Design strategies for enabling indie designers and makers"

Massimo Menichinelli massimo.menichinelli at aalto.fi
Mon May 21 09:55:22 UTC 2018

Hello all,

here's a call for papers we've just launched for the Strategic Design
Research Journal:

Call for papers:

"Open & Distributed + Design & Production | Design strategies for
enabling indie designers and makers"

The evolution of Open & Distributed Design & Production can be already
measured in decades, with many initiatives by both practitioners and
researchers. This is a phenomenon that has already been promoted,
discussed and studied by several disciplines and also design
researchers, but while most of these contributions have explored its
beginnings and main traits, we believe that it might be reaching a
turning point in its evolution. Discussions about this phenomenon could
be more strategic if they focus now more on how to make it more
structured and prepared for the long term than just focusing on
exploring common traits and how to scale it without thinking about a
long term strategy. Political, social, economical and legal issues are
increasingly relevant in order to make such initiatives inclusive, their
processes and organization transparent and their management fair and equal.

We especially welcome proposals that addresses existing criticalities of
the Open & Distributed Design & Production phenomenon and their
connections with Strategic Design: how these criticalities impact over
Strategic Design, and how could Strategic Design impact over them?

More details here:
http://revistas.unisinos.br/index.php/sdrj/pages/view/call#ODDP

Schedule:

Launch of the call for papers: May 19th, 2018

Full paper due: September 16th, 2018

Notification of Review results: November 6th, 2018

Deadline for submission of the final version: December 10th, 2018

Final acceptance: January 15th, 2019

Publication: May 1st, 2019

Br,

Massimo