[Openglam_members] OpenGLAM Principles v0.6

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Aug 14 16:29:22 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Yes - strongly agree with Sam that it would be great to be able to
circulate the OpenGLAM principles to institutions thinking of opening up
their content and data, and for this to be somewhat self-explanatory as a
guide (also linking off to other relevant sources of information - perhaps
we could have a links section at the bottom?).

A few suggestions for possible textual changes:

  * "The internet affords cultural heritage institutions a radical new
opportunity to" -> "The internet presents cultural heritage institutions
with an unprecedented opportunity to"
  * "When we say that a collection or data set" -> "When we say that
digital content or data"
  * "1. Digital information about the works (metadata) should be released
under the Creative Commons Zero Waiver." -> "1. Digital information about
the works (metadata) should be explicitly released into the public domain
using an appropriate legal tool such as the Creative Commons Zero Waiver."
  * "2. Keep digital representations of works for which copyright has
expired (public domain) in the public domain by not adding new rights to
them." -> "2. Digital copies and representations of works in which
copyright has expired (public domain works) should be explicitly marked
using an appropriate legal tool such as the Creative Commons Public Domain
Mark."
  * "5. Opportunities to engage audiences in novel ways on the web should
be pursued." -> might it be good to explicitly mention "around your open
content and data", and give some examples here? E.g. could also mention
Wikipedian in residence schemes, compelling examples of reuse of content
and data, hackathons, competitions and so on. Perhaps another separate
activity could be to make a really beautiful page or slide deck with all of
the most amazing examples we know of. ;-)

Look forward to seeing the principles being finalised! :-)

All the best,

Jonathan

On 14 August 2013 17:16, Sam Leon <sam.leon at okfn.org> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> On the most recent Working Group call, I agreed to put up the most recent
> version of the OpenGLAM principles based on some of the comments that were
> received on the OpenGLAM public discussion list. I incorporated these into
> OpenGLAM Principles v0.6:
>
> http://openglam.org/principles/
>
> There has been a renewed interest from a number of cultural institutions
> in the idea of open content since the Getty release and it would be great
> to use this as an opportunity to point other institutions wanting their
> open content program to the principles. I therefore propose we iterate to
> v1.0 by the end of next week.
>
> If people could give their remaining comments on thread that would be
> great.
>
> I would also like to table 1 further principles on the basis of comments
> made by Maarten and Lotte in the last round of comments:
>
>    - Clearly document the open data, content and services you provide so
>    that others can easily re-use, build and improve on what you've made made
>    available.
>
> What do people think? I'm also pondering adding in a principle concerning
> open licensing of scans of in-copyright works that a GLAM has the rights
> to. My gut feeling is that we're better to focus on PD works in the first
> instance.
>
> Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
>
> All the best,
> Sam