[Openglam_members] OpenGLAM Benchmark Survey - Next Meeting (Doodle Poll)

Estermann Beat beat.estermann at bfh.ch
Wed Jan 22 13:41:29 UTC 2014

Dear Sebastiaan, dear all,

Thanks for updating me about the meeting of the Dutch team. I’m replying to the list, so everybody is up to date.

Here my reactions to the points you have listed (I’m using the same numbering):

3. Let’s discuss this as part of the discussion about the questionnaire. I’m planning to launch this discussion early February. Today, I announced the Benchmark Survey on different mailing lists in order to find out who else is interested in contributing.

4. Great. So, Joris, please sign yourself up as the coordinator here: https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/OpenGLAM_Benchmark_Survey/Participating_countries
(providing your username or an e-mail address, so people can get in touch with you)

6. This is in line with the rough time plan set out in the concept
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/OpenGLAM_Benchmark_Survey/Concept
The administration of the questionnaire in a first set of countries could start around the end of May 2014. So you would have the data in July and could certainly present the first results from the Netherlands in September.
The time plan is ambitious, however. Whether we will be able to stick to that plan depends very much on the dynamics of the project team over the coming weeks as well as on the technical/scientific/political issues we bump into on our way.

7.  I can just summarize the experiences from Switzerland; maybe that will help you choose the best approach for the Netherlands:

In Switzerland we started from a list of collections of national significance. Some of them came with a contact e-mail address that was not a GLAM’s standard e-mail address, some came with a GLAM’s generic contact address, and the rest we had to research ourselves on the Internet.
We got many responses from GLAMs where we actually contacted them via the standard address; and there were many cases of non-responses from GLAMs where we used a more specific address.

We set the questionnaire up in a way that several people could fill in the questionnaire – a GLAM staff member could for example leave a few questions empty and send the link to a colleague to answer those questions. I have episodic evidence that in larger GLAMs they actually coordinated their responses among several people. In smaller GLAMs it doesn’t really matter which address you use. The teams are so small that they pass it easily on to the person that is most likely to fill in the questionnaire.

In general, we found that many respondents were unable to answer the question regarding the metadata formats their institution uses and whether or not their metadata needs to be improved. Many also didn’t know whether they had a Linked Open Data project. The same with naming risks of crowdsourcing. – My interpretation of these findings is that some of the respondents are not familiar with these issues. At the same time, I’m not sure that you would get a higher response rate on these questions if you were able to track down the “right” person to ask. From our follow-up interviews during the pretest I have anecdotal evidence that there are GLAMs out there where no staff member is knowledgeable in these areas.

I also have anecdotal evidence that in larger GLAMs that were contacted through a generic contact address, the administrative staff made sure that the questionnaire went to the right person. For many GLAMs, dealing with external requests and directing them at the right person internally, is part of the core business.

So the only advice I can give you is to talk to your national umbrella organizations and see whether they can provide you with contact addresses.
Furthermore, I would encourage you to get the endorsement of the umbrella organizations so they promote the survey among their members. I think this could raise management attention and have a positive effect on the response rate in general.

8. Excellent.

And a question from my side: Have you decided who takes the lead of Work Package 3 (Pretest)?
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/OpenGLAM_Benchmark_Survey/Implementation_Plan

The selection of the survey is one of the tasks that needs to be tackled soon.
It would be great if the work package leader could moderate the tool selection process.

Cheers,
Beat