[Openglam_members] Wellcome Library blog on OpenGLAM

Lieke Ploeger lieke.ploeger at okfn.org
Tue Jun 10 08:18:07 UTC 2014

Dear Working Group members,

During our monthly call last week (see notes at
https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1yCJUVrTsbnSenuQA0tGQ0rugEwitlyiwATJbIrJpQEs/edit)
we discussed the Curator's Choice blog on the Wellcome Images release. Some
members felt that it might not be a good signal to actively promote this
collection (consisting of public domain material that was licensed as CC-BY
following digitisation) at this moment, in light of the ongoing discussion
around this topic, as well as the upcoming OKfest session.

However, taking a blog offline after it has been published, combined with
the fact that it is still an Open Collection (also mentioned on our Open
Collections page) would also not be a right signal. After discussing the
matter further with Adam Green, we have now added a disclaimer text at the
bottom of the blog, stating our awareness of the issue, and inviting
everyone to participate in discussing it further at OKfestival:

*The OpenGLAM working group would like to add that, although we very much
appreciate collections being made available under an open license such as
CC-BY, we also value the principle of keep digital representations of works
for which copyright has expired (public domain) in the public domain by not
adding new rights to them following digitisation. We understand that this
is a difficult matter, which has been discussed quite extensively on our
mailing list and elsewhere recently. That is why we are organising a
workshop at OKFestival entitled ‘Maintaining a healthy and thriving Public
Domain – exploring the notion of originality and copyright when digitising
analogue works‘. We invite everyone to join in our discussion, so that we
can come to a common approach on how to deal with this topic in the future.*

Hoping you are all OK with this approach, and looking forward to the OKFest
session!

Best regards, Lieke Ploeger

--
Lieke Ploeger