[Openglam_members] Me, US, blahblah

Lieke Ploeger lieke.ploeger at okfn.org
Wed May 28 10:35:07 UTC 2014

Hi both,

Yes, we do have a small budget for the OpenGLAM WG to support printing
flyers and other promotional material - it is very limited though :(
And we can definitely give organisational support where needed for funding
applications.

As for the monthly calls, perhaps we could schedule them at a fixed
time/date in the future (for example on every last Tuesday of the month,
one month from 17.00-18.00 CET and the next month from 9.00 -10.00 CET)?
This would give people in different timezones an option to join at least
every other month, and people can plan ahead for when to attend. Just an
idea, perhaps we can discuss it in out next call?

Best, Lieke

On 27 May 2014 12:54, Joris Pekel <jpekel at gmail.com> wrote:

> He Sarah!
>
> Great to hear from you. And good to hear we have you on our side again :)
> Picked out a few points from your mail:
>
> Monthly calls - Still haven't quite figured out how to do this with the
> different timezones more and more of the members are in. We could suggest
> two calls but my personal schedule is a bit too crazy at the moment to run
> two a month, especially on weird times. Perhaps we can think of a second
> coordinator that runs separate calls and feed back to the group?
>
> Swag - We used to have a little budget for this kind of stuff where we
> could give people some money and a template to print of stuff. @Lieke could
> you let me know if the OKF is still in the position of doing this?
>
> Same goes for running a conference. I do not believe the WG can fund this.
> But we can give organisational support when looking for funding..
>
> Too bad your proposal was not accepted! Also as the conference has gender
> and transnational diversity high up. But I did see the insane amount of
> good proposals that came in so it was extremely difficult to pick. Still
> secretly hoping you find a way to make it...
>
> Anyway, let's do a proper catchup soon.
>
> Speak soon!
>
> Joris

>> (Pardon the semi professional semi personal email here...this might be
>> TL:DR but the people who care will read it I suppose)
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> As some of you may know, I used to be *very* involved in OpenGLAM. I
>> worked for OKF and helped launch the OpenGLAM initiative in the USA. Sadly
>> that partnership ended when I decided to accept a full time job at the
>> Wikimedia Foundation (a large part of that was due to the need I had for
>> health insurance, which still wasn't accessible to all in the US, no
>> offense to the mission :)  ).
>>
>> Well life has changed. I wanted to give ya'll some updates:
>>
>> 1. I'm no longer working at the Wikimedia Foundation, if you didn't know
>> by now. I'm not legally allowed to talk about why, and I hope you'll
>> respect that. Life hasn't been easy, but, that's how it goes sometimes.
>>
>> 2. This allows me now to re-devote my life to what I have spent the
>> majority of my adulthood studying, researching, and obsessing about -
>> GLAMs.
>>
>> 3. I attended my first GLAM conference in ages this week, the American
>> Alliance of Museums conference. I wrote a blog about it, which will soon be
>> reposted by OpenGLAM, I hope you'll read it. I will leave it for Lieke to
>> post :)
>>
>> 4. It led me to the conclusion that people in the US still have no
>> fucking idea what OpenGLAM is. To be blunt. We gave the first MUSE Award
>> out [*the* American museum award for technology] for "Open" and people
>> were saying it was a catch all category for whatever "didn't fit in the
>> other categories." FAIL. And at an Sweden won it, btw, with the LSH project
> [...]

Lieke Ploeger

Community Manager  | skype: laploeger  |
@liekeploeger<https://twitter.com/liekeploeger>

Empowering through Open Knowledge
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on