[Openglam_members] Next call

Thomasin Sleigh Thomasin.Sleigh at dia.govt.nz
Tue Nov 17 23:29:28 UTC 2015

Hi all

Thanks for starting this discussion. I must apologise for being an infrequent attendee at the monthly calls, as the timing is often not amenable—and I completely appreciate this is a tricky problem to solve.

From my perspective, I share many of Maarten’s points about the benefits of membership with the group:

-       It’s useful to stay in touch with developments across the world and be in contact with those who share similar challenges

-       Basic things, like the working “open glam definition” is useful when doing outreach and presentations. It’s useful to be able to rely on OpenGLAM’s principles, and also use the case studies—having a cache of practical examples are always good to have.

-       It’s useful to share about project/outreach I’ve been working on here in NZ and get any feedback from the group

One of the interesting challenges we have in the GLAM sector here is the relationship between western concepts of property and knowledge, with those of Maori, NZ’s indigenous people. For example, it is not possible for many of the Open GLAM principles to be adopted wholesale here. So I hope to able to contribute some of the interesting nuances of NZ-specific heritage collections.

I look forward to hearing what others in the group think.

Thanks
Thomasin