[opensourcepharma] Misc reading

Matthew Todd mattoddchem at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:38:16 UTC 2014

All,

Miscellaneous, recent open source pharma items.

1. MMV has a call out for funds for animal model evaluation of compounds
known to be effective vs neglected tropical diseases. The molecules should
have arisen from the open access malaria box.

http://www.mmv.org/research-development/malaria-box-challenge-grants

2. Interesting looking call that might be suitable for
crowdsourcing/education projects: "The United States Agency for
International Development (USAID) <http://www.usaid.gov/> has
joinedwith several
U.S. Government (USG) supported agencies
<http://sites.nationalacademies.org/pga/peer/index.htm#agencies> to support
Partnerships for Enhanced Engagement in Research (PEER). Administered by
the U.S. National Academy of Sciences (NAS), PEER is a competitive grants
program that invites scientists in developing countries, partnered with
USG-supported collaborators, to apply for funds to support research and
capacity-building activities on topics with strong potential development
impacts. This innovative program is designed to leverage the investments
other USG-supported agencies have made in scientific research and training
while supporting the initiatives of developing country scientists."

http://sites.nationalacademies.org/pga/peer/index.htm

3. Global CEO Initiative on Alzheimer's (alerted to this by Melinda) though
not as far as I can tell open in the way we have described - will be
interesting to see how it develops.

http://www.ceoalzheimersinitiative.org/mission-and-vision

4. A new data sharing initiative in Ebola (field, rather than therapeutics)

http://www.evdnet.org/

5. Those interested in the level of expenditure on biomedical R&D in the
public vs private sectors (answer, it's about 1:2) will be interested in
this recent NEJM article

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1311068

6. I wrote up some of the work we just finished in crowdsourcing chemical
synthesis as part of Open Source Malaria - Urmi Bajpai spoke about her work
in this area at the Bellagio meeting

http://intermolecular.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/crowdsourcing-drug-discovery/

7. Article in the Economist on open access publishing

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21620051-changes-will-bring-scientific-discovery-more-freely-public-domain

8. Article in Time on Ebola etc, including: "Turk says there’s a chance
that the Ebola epidemic will lead to more organizations awarding prizes to
drug manufacturers that can develop innovative drugs, and that the global
nature of epidemics could incite international governments to share
research and development subsidy costs."

http://time.com/3481378/ebola-emerging-diseases/

Best,

Mat

--
MATTHEW TODD | Associate Professor
School of Chemistry | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 519, F11 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 2180  | F +61 2 9351 3329  | M +61 415 274104
E matthew.todd at sydney.edu.au | W
http://sydney.edu.au/science/chemistry/research/todd.html | W
http://opensourcemalaria.org/

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised
use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please
delete it and any attachments.