[opensourcepharma] Nature Article on Science and Social Networks

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 02:42:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Richter, Melinda [JRDUS] <
MRicht23 at its.jnj.com> wrote:

> In case you have not read this yet, great article about the rising tide of
> social networks for science:  “More than 4.5 million researchers have
> signed up for ResearchGate, and another 10,000 arrive every day...That is a
> pittance compared with Facebook’s 1.3 bil­lion active users, but
> astonishing for a network that only researchers can join…”

Interesting to think that while the "network of researchers" has ~4.5
million researchers, the "network of research subjects" is ~300 times
bigger. I was gonna call it "network of *potential* research subjects"
however FB has already shown that it is both willing and able to conduct
research on its users at will.

--
Puneet Kishor
Manager, Science and Data Policy