[wdmmg-dev] OpenSpending Process (senger at rehfisch.de)

Carsten Senger senger at rehfisch.de
Fri Apr 22 18:23:18 UTC 2011

--On Donnerstag, April 21, 2011 16:18:01 +0100 Rufus Pollock
<rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> On 21 April 2011 16:04, Friedrich Lindenberg
> <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Carsten Senger <senger at rehfisch.de>
>> wrote:
>>> We want to encourage contributors to write a custom loader where
>>> necessary. It's the alternative to "Transform to OpenSpending Format2
>>> for the "Custom Loader" process.
>>
>> Hm, I disagree: I feel it would be much better for us to converge to
>> using custom loaders as little as possible (and we're almost there
>> already). Keeping the loaders up to date is increasingly a burden on
>> our development and I'd like to get rid of the simpler ones in favor
>> of a set of mapping descriptions. What do you think?
>
> I'm a big +1 with Friedrich here. I actually think even our own
> loaders should switch to producing our 'OpenSpending data' format and
> we then load that in a standard way (the great benefit with this is we
> now have a nice 'standalone' version of the data to redistribute to
> others, to register on ckan.net etc).

Sorry for the confusion. It should have been "if necessary", not
"where necessary". I also want them to use the csv loader. And
I don't know enough about the csv loader to know if there
are cases where it cannot be used. If those are edge cases and the
diagram targets possible (data) contributors, we could remove this
option from the diagram. People will get in touch with
us if they are in that situation. If we offer it as an option in the
diagram, the task of writing the loader is still missing, and I still
think it should be marked as "Done by the provider". It should also be
clearly visible that the csv loader is the prefered option.

..Carsten