[wdmmg-dev] Metadata and localization - questions

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Mon Aug 22 11:23:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

just to say: I'm now back on OpenSpending, looking forward to all of this!

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Stefan Urbanek
<stefan.urbanek at gmail.com> wrote:
> How important is localization? should it be considered or not?
> If yes, what level? metadata only (labels) or also data (localized classifications, for example)?

This has an additional level, the software, which already is
internationalized. I do think that we want to have both support for
metadata and data localization eventually but we should do this with a
concrete use case in mind. For example, the Israeli budget data which
was utterly incomprehensible to us before we Google translated it; or
the EC FTS dataset, which is available in three languages by default
(EN, DE, FR).

In terms of immediate development priorities, though, I think we have
higher-value things we should deliver (explorer, compare-o-tron,
dataset modeling WUI, ETL fully established, ...).

- Friedrich