[wdmmg-dev] WDMMG Uganda on guardian.co.uk

Martin Keegan martin.keegan at okfn.org
Mon Sep 5 14:12:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Mark Brough <
mark.brough at publishwhatyoufund.org> wrote:

> Hi Martin, Gregor and Rufus,
>

> I’ve been in touch with someone at the Guardian about Uganda<http://www.publishwhatyoufund.org/testarea/uganda.htm>– they love it and they are very keen to show it on
> guardian.co.uk. *We are considering launching it at the end of September /
> start of October.*
>

> To do this, the biggest thing we would need is to be able to *switch
> between the years properly* – rather than the dodgy way I made it work at
> the moment! It would be nice if the bubbles would resize when the year
> changed – rather than just reloading the page – but if that doesn’t work
> then just reloading the page would be fine as well.
>

> They are happy to show just the visualisation itself, but I think it would
> be nice to at least be able to link to the data on OpenSpending. I think in
> order to do this *we would need to have the visualisation on the same page
> as the data* otherwise it wouldn’t make much sense.

Hello Mark,

I've investigated getting the visualisations on the same page as the data:
see the preliminary results here:
http://notebook.okfn.org/2011/09/05/week-past/ (it needs quite a bit of web
design love, but we are close to having bubbletrees available immediately on
dataset load).

Unless I misunderstand how the current BubbleTree code works, getting a
smooth transition to compare different years may be a bit tricky, and thus
we'd need a solution like your current one until that can be fixed. It's
complicated, because there's not necessarily a bijection between budgetary
items in different years.

As to currency conversion, my preference would be for it to be in the
dataset rather than the code, to make calculations more easily repeatable by
third parties.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this! We'd really like to work
with you and the Guardian on getting these datasets and visualisations
better known and understood.

Mk