[openspending-dev] Budget in a box: Request for feedback.

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Mon Feb 13 10:42:51 UTC 2012

Hey Rufus,

thanks for the quick feedback.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> I would still argue that's a barrier -- we could after all do this all
> in one via JS -- but let's wait an see :-) (code, after all, talks!)

Yes, but that means making the JS more complicated (i.e. binding the
visualizations to tab switches) - which is complexity that I fear may
obfuscate the basic "embed codes" this has. Right now you can pretty
much copy and paste the content of the pages without their YAML front
matter into any website and it will work. I take your point, though
and we should try to find something easy....

>> sample site which people can fork on GitHub and then customize to get
>> their own white-label page.
>>
>> Repo + README: https://github.com/openspending/wheredoesmymoneygo.org
>> Site: http://staging.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/
>>
>> If any of you have any feedback on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> I've already filed a minor bug:
> https://github.com/openspending/wheredoesmymoneygo.org/issues/6
>
> :-)

Nice :)

>> The questions in particular are:
>
> Just to clarify: are we thinking of replacing wheredoesmymoneygo.org
> with this or is this a demo for other places. If for
> wheredoesmymoneygo.org we have severe issues of breaking old stuff ...
> (Guess we could do a redirect to old.wheredoesmymoneygo.org or
> something)

I'm relatively agnostic about that, but I think that WDMMG is showing
some signs of bit-rot and this may help to solve both issues. I'm
aware of the URL breakage, but from what I heard GH Pages even
supports some degree of .htaccess redirects - so we may be fine.

>> * Is the basic idea made sufficiently clear?
>> * What further guidance would be needed?
>> * Should we include the less generalizable widgets that Rufus and Tim
>> have done (Tax Calculator, Budgetizer) or put them at a different
>> location?
>
> I think budgetizer can now live at OpenSpendingJS going forward and
> should not be part of a generic WDMMG distro. However, we need to
> preserve old urls on WDMMG.org itself (see point above).
>
> Tax Calculator probably is useful (and you can't do dailybread without
> it ...) so I'd put it in somewhere.
>
>> Please also feel free to file tickets for future enhancements.
>>
>> Once we feel comfortable with the basic site, I'd like to announce it
>> on the main list and if there is demand, even do a quick Skype call
>> about it.
>
> I really think removing Jekyll in the first instance would be a real
> benefit but perhaps we should poll on list about it when we announce
> (I know that I'd be much more comfortable grabbing some HTML and
> modding ...)

Agreed, let put this up as a question along with the site. Otoh I have
noticed that on Mac and Linux, installing Jekyll is extremely simple,
it may just be us (rightly!) disliking Ruby.

- Friedrich