[openspending-dev] [OpenSpending] Hi, everybody...

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon Jul 30 15:55:59 UTC 2012

Hi Miro,

Moving this onto the OpenSpending dev list as I think the topic is
OpenSpending specific, the address for this list if you are subscribed is
openspending-dev at lists.okfn.org. Moving OpenSpending discussion list to
bcc.

Great news that you are working with OpenSpending and your suggestions are
great. I'll try and answer as many of these queries as I can. I should
mention also that OpenSpending is an open-source software project, and we
welcome contributions to the codebase from those wishing to implement new
features, please do feel free to use this list to bounce ideas around.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM, račan.sk <racan.sk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to ask several questions and discuss some proposals:
>
> *Various:*
> - how can the form for browsing entries be customized? (to decide, which
> dimensions should be in the main form and which in details etc.)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to which column names
appear in the tablular view of the data? Names of departments etc will not
appear in that view unless you enter them as a 'to' dimension. Does that
help?

> - if the column "Time" in the form for browsing entries contains only
> years (YYYY), is it possible to display it in the same format, i. e. YYYY?

Yes, this should be possible, I have created several datasets where it
displays like this in the table view. Are you having any issues getting it
to display?

> - "*You cannot edit dimensions while data is loaded...":* would not it be
> practical to have the choice to display the dimensions model at least in
> "read-only" mode?.

Agree, this would be useful from my perspective also, I've added an issue
in Github here where we can have a proper debate with the developers:

https://github.com/openspending/openspending/issues/480

> *The dimensions which are used to slice the dataset by (facets in entries
> browser): *
> - would not it be practical to arrange the order (layout) of the facets?
> - would not it be practical to sort the values in facets in ascending /
> descending order, and/or to enable finding or filtering values in the lists
> (dropdowns instead of the list boxes?)?

Again - added as Github tickets here: (feel free to do this with future
feature requests and then drop a mail to the list for discussion, we can't
promise when we'll get to them, but it's useful for us to have them
documented in Github!)

https://github.com/openspending/openspending/issues/481

> *Visualisations:*
> - can they be modified/deleted?

Yes! Underneath the visualisation in the bottom right, there is a 'change'
button.

> - would´not it by practical to Save or Save As design changes made by the
> user in the Change mode?

Not sure I understand. It is possible to save and name a visualisation.
Could you clarify?

> - I would appreciate a radio button enabling / disabling the Years filter
> (there are case I would like to see complete data, not only data for a
> specific year)

Interesting point, we'd need to think how this played out in conveying the
message of the data, but I've added a ticket for debate here:

https://github.com/openspending/openspending/issues/482

> - TreeMap:
>   - I would appreciate displaying time period, filter conditions and Total
> amount
>   - I would appreciate a radio button to switch between display absolute
> values / percentage against the total

Again, added:

https://github.com/openspending/openspending/issues/483

*Timeseries:*
> - will it be (in future) possible to display datasets as timeseries on the
> OpenSpending.org?
> (someting like these timeseries:
> http://www.racan.sk/2012/05/rozpocet-mc-raca-2012-vydaje.html)

I shall speak to the developers and find out!

Sorry not to have been of immediate help in all of your queries, but hope
to have been of some use regarding changing the visualisations.

Please do keep talking to us and telling us about how you'd like to use OS.
Could you tell me a bit more about the project you are working on, or are
you simply experimenting with the platform?

Lucy

> Thanks for any answers / suggestions.
> Best regards
> Miro Ščibrany