[openspending-dev] openspending and openspendingjs as separate repositories

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Tue Jul 31 15:43:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

The biggest problem that I see from using openspending/openspendingjs the
way we're using is that we don't know which version of openspending is
dependent on what other version in openspendingjs. For git, there's no
relationship between the two.

Also, it's strange that, if I want to see all commits that developed a
story, I need to go in two separate stories.

2012/7/31 Friedrich Lindenberg <friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org>

> From a practical point of view, I think that both are potentially
> hackable by different groups: people who may want to contribute to
> OpenSpendingJS can be visualisation experts who do not want to install
> Python, OpenSpending, Postgres, RabbitMQ and Solr on their dev
> machines. Instead, they can check out that repo, put in in their LAMP
> install and go into their settings on OpenSpending.org to set a
> user-custom script root, which will make OS.org get all of the scripts
> off their local version, e.g. http://localhost/openspendingjs. Gregor
> has been using it, and I think we should promote it more.

They could clone openspending, but not run it. Simply go
into openspending/ui/public/static/openspendingjs and do the changes there.

> As for merging parts of the JS back into OS: we could do that, but
> then we potentially end up with two vendor lib archives - which I
> think is more trouble than we gain.

Agreed. I think everything related to openspending should be in
openspending's repo.

Cheers,
Vítor.