[openspending-dev] #500 and #501

Vitor Baptista vitor at vitorbaptista.com
Wed Jan 9 20:50:19 UTC 2013

Hey Friedrich! How's the US?

I've finished a first version of the timeseries graphs. It's in the
feature/time-series branch on openspendingjs. There're a few things missing.

First, I was thinking in how to limit the entries' amount. I tried to
simply change Aggregator's pagesize, but that kinda sucks. The best
solution is to limit the number of entities shown over a period of time,
but pagesize limits the number of elements returned. If I set a pagesize to
100, I might receive 100 entries of a single entity, or 100 different
entities.

My (stupid) workaround was to get everything and slice the results array.
As they're grouped by the entity, it works. But the performance on big
datasets is awful.

Second, it makes more sense to select a range in the slider, instead of
simply the year. There're even datasets that simply don't work if you
select only a year (i.e. Slovakia's). But, for it to work, I would need a
way to get ranges through the API. I could find none. The only way was to
cut by every year inside the range, but that's another hack. Also, it won't
work if we allow selecting month (or day) ranges. Ideas?

And last, I haven't checked it yet, but could you point me where to look to
add the widget inside openspending?

Cheers,
Vítor.