[openspending-dev] Proposal: entities.openspending.org

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Thu Mar 28 16:01:56 UTC 2013

I wonder if it's worth coming at this from a slightly different angle,
doing two things:

1) Having a good write-up on the site wrt. existing tools for
reconciliation and how they are reflected in OpenSpending (we have some
support for OC built-in, did you know ;).

2) Make a taxonomies.openspending.org site. This would include having one
authoritative form of things like COGOG, German Funktionenplan, etc. in
multiple languages. They could be uploaded via CSV, confirmed in a
community process and then become accessible in a drop-down in the
dimensions editor as a replacement for normal dimensions.

>From an analytical point of view this is similarly interesting to entities,
it's much easier to do because the set is much smaller. It would also make
new validation options when loading data into OpenSpending, leading to
cleaner contents.

It's also interesting from an SEO angle, it would capture requests like
"How much does government spend on XXX" and then show which countries OS
has this info for.

Cheers,

 - Friedrich