[openspending-dev] Satellite sites - wordpress option (and the primary option!)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri May 3 16:57:29 UTC 2013

On 3 May 2013 15:26, Tryggvi Björgvinsson <tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org> wrote:

> So here's a rather late reply to this thread. I find Adam's points
> really helpful.
>
> On lau 6.apr 2013 14:04, Adam Stiles wrote:
> > As a user, I second Vitor's point:
> >
> > *I feel that for satellite sites, technical documentation about how to use
> > the widgets is more useful. Not embedding the iframe, but actually adding
> > the js libraries and calling them, so the user could start customizing it.
> > *
>
> I second this as well. This would perhaps require another focus on the
> openspendingjs project. I imagine openspendingjs as a standalone
> library, similar to jQuery or even the bootstrap javascript library.
> Simply add this script tag to your header and you can start calling
> functions to create stunning visuals. We could then have standard
> behaviour based on classes or configurations via javascript calls.

I still think this is an orthogonal point to the original think i was
trying to emphasize which was focusing our simple instructions on
booting e.g. wordpress rather than jekyll.

I agree that providing instructions for JS stuff would be good but the
best approach (IMO) would be enabling the community to do this more
(e.g. Adam could document instructions in the wiki or a post ...)

I'm not going to comment on the rest of this as I think the JS
improvements and instructions for use are a separate (though
important) issue which I don't have immediate opinions on :-)

Rufus