[openspending-dev] api key

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Mon Sep 9 15:23:01 UTC 2013

> see this "Ideas" issue: https://github.com/okfn/ideas/issues/43 (Cross-OKF single-signup (for api kesy)

Yep. As suggested below, it's not immediately obvious to me that there's really a need for a shared process for issuing/checking API keys. It's typically only a few lines of code, and is usually much easier to get right than the standard litany of password reset, email login links, etc etc.

One possible benefit might be centralised measurement of usage of said API keys, but I think there are better ways of doing that anyway (statsd/graphite) which themselves have next to zero integration overhead (well, statsd, anyway...)

-N