[openspending-dev] The Front Fell Off

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Wed Apr 16 08:48:31 UTC 2014

To pile on: thanks for the excellent write-up, that’s very helpful!

On the immediate question of how to prevent OS from going down, two ideas:

* Switch the solr query calls to requests, set a timeout of 2 seconds and otherwise return an empty result with a warning set.

* Delete all datasets marked “budget" from FTS and show the search mask only for datasets which are marked “transaction”. To my knowledge, there is not actually a use case for FTS on budget line items.

Beyond that in the medium term, two more:

* ElasticSearch has nested objects, ie. the members of a dimension would become one storage item, which should give huge space savings on dimensions with a low cardinality.

* More radical: use Postgres GiST/GIN. In its simplest implementation, that would loose us cross-dataset FTS and create a dependency on Postgres. Both of these are, IMO, survivable. What’s cool about that would be having combinations of aggregation and search calls, e.g. “give me the biggest recipients where the description mentions drones” - a thing that can only be badly emulated by Lucene’s facets.

Cheers,

- Friedrich