[openspending-dev] Server issues?

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Wed Feb 12 21:04:34 UTC 2014

On mið 12.feb 2014 19:43, Adam Stiles wrote:
> Hi -- trying to upload a dataset to openspending.org and it's "still
> analyzing" for over an hour. Is the system down? Thanks.

Hi Adam (and everybody),

The system is up and running and we have four processes running through
the queue of tasks. These tasks are both loading data and analysing data
and the system goes through it in order. This means that if there are
many big datasets being loaded it blocks everything else like is
happening now.

This is a well known problem. One solution to it would be to separate
the queues so that loading big datasets doesn't block analysis and I
just created a ticket for it:
https://github.com/openspending/openspending/issues/766

Then we could provide more information to let people know how long the
queue is (this would also help people who are waiting for their datasets
to load). Everton made this feature request 2 months ago:
https://github.com/openspending/openspending/issues/729

There's also the possibility of somehow increasing processing workers
automatically when queue size gets too big. This feature was requested
by Leandro Martelli also 2 months ago:
https://github.com/openspending/openspending/issues/730

So if there are any takers on these issues the please go ahead and make
openspending better for all of us. This would be a big help and you
would be loved until the end of times (or something like that)!

--

Tryggvi Björgvinsson

Technical Lead, OpenSpending

The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org>