[openspending-dev] Fwd: [Webmaster Tools] http://openspending.org/: Googlebot can't access your site

Nick Stenning nick.stenning at okfn.org
Mon Feb 17 17:33:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 18:09, Nick Stenning wrote:

> Rather surprisingly, this appears to have been introduced at:
>
>     https://github.com/openspending/openspending/commit/43055a77889efb509985fe9db1236c1cbc5da8ec
>
> which would imply that this has been broken for over a year...!?

Unfortunately for that hypothesis, the Google Webmaster Tools implies
it's only been broken since the 12th of December:

http://i.imgur.com/J5X4EZw.png

This would also imply that the proposed "fix" won't make any difference.
Might be worth trying, though.

The only other thing I can think of is that the GWT dashboard is
*specifically* referring to *http*://openspending.org, for which
/robots.txt now 301s to it's SSLed compatriot at
https://openspending.org/robots.txt. The document I referred to in the
last email implies that a 301 should be absolutely fine, though... Odd.

-N

--
Nick Stenning
Technical Director, Open Knowledge Foundation