[openspending-dev] Fwd: [Webmaster Tools] http://openspending.org/: Googlebot can't access your site

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Feb 17 17:35:37 UTC 2014

On 17 February 2014 17:33, Nick Stenning <nick.stenning at okfn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014, at 18:09, Nick Stenning wrote:
> >

> > Rather surprisingly, this appears to have been introduced at:
> >

> https://github.com/openspending/openspending/commit/43055a77889efb509985fe9db1236c1cbc5da8ec
> >
> > which would imply that this has been broken for over a year...!?
>
> Unfortunately for that hypothesis, the Google Webmaster Tools implies
> it's only been broken since the 12th of December:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/J5X4EZw.png
>
> This would also imply that the proposed "fix" won't make any difference.
> Might be worth trying, though.

Still worth trying - and I note we got rid of most of the old "pylons"
based XML sitemaps so you should ignore that stuff. Right now it runs
straight off a simple robots.txt on disk.

The only other thing I can think of is that the GWT dashboard is
> *specifically* referring to *http*://openspending.org, for which
> /robots.txt now 301s to it's SSLed compatriot at
> https://openspending.org/robots.txt. The document I referred to in the
> last email implies that a 301 should be absolutely fine, though... Odd.

Yes, and I did try setting up for https and no difference.

> -N
>

> --
> Nick Stenning
> Technical Director, Open Knowledge Foundation

*Rufus PollockFounder and Executive Director | skype: rufuspollock |
@rufuspollock <https://twitter.com/rufuspollock>The Open Knowledge
Foundation <http://okfn.org/>Empowering through Open
Knowledgehttp://okfn.org/ <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn
<http://twitter.com/OKFN> | OKF on Facebook