[openspending-dev] Search in Russian

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Mon Jan 6 11:39:17 UTC 2014

Hi Vitaly,

I'm cc:ing the openspending-dev mailing list because this is general
knowledge that might help other translators/contributors as well.

On fös 20.des 2013 16:53, Vitaly Vlasov wrote:
> - where can I find list of all comments/issues?

Do you mean all issues with openspending? You can find them here:
https://github.com/openspending/openspending/issues

We also track some visualisation related issues here:
https://github.com/openspending/openspendingjs/issues

> - Where can I find occurrences of some phrases (how yo use e.g. this one:
> openspending/ui/controllers/account.py:79)

If you go here:
https://github.com/openspending/openspending

You can click on the folders and files in the order. In your example you
would click on openspending, then ui, then controllers and then on the
file account.py

Then you'll get the contents of the file with each line preceded by a
row number. You would be looking for row number 79. That's where you
find the phrase. If you look at the comment a few lines up (comments are
preceded by #) you'll see that this phrase is a result of "Check if the
username already exists, return an error if so".

Note that not all things have been commented so if you have any
questions about particular phrases and don't want to dive through the
code you can always just ask on the openspending-dev mailing list and
people can help you understand the phrases).

> - we can't understand how to translate "facet" in russian correctly -
> please can you show me example of using facet on the platform because I
> didn't use this feature.

A facet is a particular view of something. For example if you look at:
https://openspending.org/ukgov-25k-spending you can see on the right
side "Supplier" and "Department Family". You can use these to select
only transactions that have to do with for example XEROX (UK) LIMITED as
the supplier. That would be a different facet of the dataset
(transactions where Xerox supplies the UK government with services
and/or products instead of all transactions of the UK government).

The phrase facet is used in the modeller when users create the datasets.
They can choose which dimensions (e.g. Supplier) can be used as facets.
If you have difficulty translating "facet" you could instead use the
Russian translation for "transaction filter" or just "filter" where you
are translating "facet".

One thing to keep in mind with all translations is that you should
translate the software so that users will understand it when they read
it in your language, not translate the words directly (but I think you
understand that since you're asking about facet, I just wanted to
mention it).

> - we can't move symbol of new line in translation. System shows an error.
> Is it okay if we will miss this symbol?

Yes that's fine. The symbol of the new line in the original text is just
to show you that there is a newline, it's enough for you to just press
the return key (enter) to go to a new line (or even skip it because
we're working with a web page and new lines are skipped).

> - can you explain how this text will be transformed "%(time)s"? And why if
> I delete "s" - it shows an error. This is not plural in english? Because in
> russian plural has different forms.

This is a special case of replacements. The text "%s" will be replaced
by a text (there are other varieties such as %d which puts in an integer
etc. So look out for things starting with a % symbol). When we create
the translations we can give the replacements names which help you
understand what it will be replaced with, in this case something called
"time".

You should always leave this as it is and not change anything, don't
translate "time" because then we won't know where to put what we have
called time. So if you see a text like:

The time is now: %(time)s

Your Russian translation would be something like (I don't know Russian
so I hope this is correct):

Время пришло: %(time)s

So you can see that you leave "%(time)s" as it is and don't change it
(but you might put it in a different position in the text depending on
the language).

A side note: In this particular case we know that things can be
represented differently in different regions but we now stick to ISO
standards for dates but the translation software we use just recently
got updated and can represent dates in the format used in various places
of the world so we might switch to that soon.

--

Tryggvi Björgvinsson

Technical Lead, OpenSpending

The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org>