[openspending-dev] Independently keeping the lights on: Ideas?

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Wed Sep 24 11:31:32 UTC 2014

Hi All (again),

I also meant to give some more context here and highlight our earlier
discussions here. Specifically, we started a thread on this back in
June, see
https://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/openspending/2014-June/002243.html

 From that email:
> OpenSpending has seen significant growth since its formal launch in 2011.
> In the last year alone the amount of data in OpenSpending has doubled (from
> 12m to 25m records today) and we anticipate this growth continuing.
>
> This is a cause for celebration but is also putting significant strain on
> the infrastructure. The OpenSpending Steering group
> <http://community.openspending.org/about/governance/members-of-the-steering-group/>
> therefore set out on its last call
> <https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1jCB-RquGYeW9mm466ViucMRjggbCxa0pGZDH5JThcRc/edit#>
> to discuss these challenges in greater detail in this document
> <https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/1r3KHUiQ4g4av_E22wIZLEvG_m9OtbKn13o98bv70nnY/edit#heading=h.w9mt2xsythb3>
> - see also below.
>
> For the last several years, Open Knowledge has been able to sponsor the
> entirety of the core infrastructure (servers, sysadmin, essential bugfixes)
> thanks both to the limited size of the project and the great support of the
> Knight Foundation for the SpendingStories project from 2011-2013.
>
> With the increasing technical demands and the ending of that support we need
> to secure additional resources (whether financial or in-kind) to support
> OpenSpending Project and its infrastructure going forward.

Mark Brough has already shared some great thoughts here and would love
to hear from others - both in terms of ideas and any thoughts on getting
in-kind or financial support for hosting specifically.