[openspending-dev] Independently keeping the lights on: Ideas?

Tryggvi Björgvinsson tryggvi.bjorgvinsson at okfn.org
Wed Sep 24 10:15:20 UTC 2014

Hi again,

As I mentioned in my previous email OpenSpending does not have a revenue
source to pay for the hosting costs (and Open Knowledge has been very
kind to help us out on that front).

We have been looking into getting sponsored hosting for OpenSpending
because the server cost is the biggest cost of the project. Irrespective
of sponsored hosting or not, I think OpenSpending could benefit from not
being "broke" so I wanted to start a discussion with you (the community)
to see if you have any ideas for how we can get some sort of money into
the project.

The last thing I would want to do is charge users for hosting data on
OpenSpending. I just think it feels weird to charge people who want to
help increase government transparency. Another thing I'd like to avoid
is removing functionality of the OpenSpending platform just because they
can be expensive to do.

But we do need to somehow connect money coming in with money going out
(as more datasets are created the costs of storing/processing them goes
up) so ideas where increasing costs are covered by some sort of
increasing revenue are preferable but at this moment, anything is better
than nothing, so all ideas are welcomed :-)

I'm just thinking about brainstorming now. We can look into how viable
the ideas are later.

Do you have any ideas?

/Tryggvi