[openspending-dev] Alternative architecture diagram

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Mon Jan 5 22:02:19 UTC 2015

Thanks for the feedback, Paul! I'll admit I was pushing it on "Others",
trying to make this point: we can reduce the total amount of functionality
that the OS team has to maintain by extensively basing the work on
external/existing libraries, specifically:

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Paul Walsh <paulywalsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> E.g.: relational db,

Postgres :)

> resource repository

S3, Archive.org, ...

> and analytics api

http://pythonhosted.org/cubes/recipes/flask_integration.html

I'm wondering if you are using the colour coding with a different meaning
> to that of OSEP1/2.

Yeah, I skipped the "may need some duct tape" warning :)

> It also looks to me that this is not really an alternative to OSEP1/2 as
> such, and rather a view of it from a different perspective. For example,
> this diagram is more concerned  with the stack (angular, cubes, loadkit,
> s3, etc) than the design itself, as I read it.

Well, the design is that there's an app, OpenSpending, and it provides cool
spending data APIs.

This is the conservative counter-proposal to the OSEP1/2 model of splitting
it up into a set of smaller web applications written in different
programming languages which would interact via a mix of APIs and static
file dumps. At least that had been my understanding of the proposal after
my conversation with Rufus yesterday.

> Just adding these comments now as I'll be traveling around the world while
> the meetings are on tomorrow.

You're in luck, I think the public developer meeting is Thursday!

- Friedrich