[openspending-dev] Alternative architecture diagram

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich at pudo.org
Mon Jan 5 23:03:02 UTC 2015

Hey,

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Paul Walsh <paulywalsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if you are using the colour coding with a different meaning
>> to that of OSEP1/2.
>>

> Yeah, I skipped the "may need some duct tape" warning :)
>
> Well ok then, so I see where you are coming from. I understood “others” in
> OSEP1/2 to mean something rather different, i.e., stuff not in the core.
> You are using it to mean stuff in core that is dependancy code/platforms.

Ok, I got confused I guess, there was a dual colour coding scheme in play
in the original diagram. Should the boxes be light vs. dark blue instead?

> This is the conservative counter-proposal to the OSEP1/2 model of
> splitting it up into a set of smaller web applications written in different
> programming languages which would interact via a mix of APIs and static
> file dumps. At least that had been my understanding of the proposal after
> my conversation with Rufus yesterday.
>
> Ok. I think emphasising different programming languages makes it seem more
> radical than it is. The main takeaway I have from Trygvvi's and Rufus’
> diagrams, and from discussions, is the slimming of the core and
> externalising some services so that they can grow without enforced
> dependency.

I do think it's fairly radical. I've been trying since yesterday to think
of other platforms that perform shared-file-based service orchestration
(i.e. BDP+-on-S3), and none come to mind. As for how much that is actually
the plan, I'm now more confused than ever.

I have a (very) long trip.

Hope it goes well!

- Fr.