[wdmmg-discuss] v0.3 adds a web interface for browsing the database.

Alistair Turnbull apt1002 at goose.minworks.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 15:13:59 UTC 2010

I have just uploaded a new snapshot of our software:

 	http://store.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/

Recent work has gone into writing a web interface for navigating the
database. This is a first attempt, and so it's quite primitive at the
moment. My initial ambition is to put at least something in place for
every entity in our data model, and to give them all URLs and link them
together properly.

The search page doesn't exist yet, so for the moment the only way to get
around is to follow hyperlinks. This is impractical if you are looking for
a particular item, as you may have to find it in a very long list.
However, if you just want to see examples then it should be good enough.
Here are some of the URLs you can reach:

 	http://store.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/slice
 	http://store.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/account/84849d91-dbb3-4845-bc24-77c465746193
 	http://store.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/transaction/3daae125-324b-4431-9519-590b56a917b8
 	http://store.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/key/d6fec358-2f16-434c-abc5-8eb7e302958c
 	http://store.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/enumeration_value/d6fec358-2f16-434c-abc5-8eb7e302958c/Dept004

I'm sure there will be improvements possible to terminology, naming
conventions, and columns shown, for example. Ideas for general
prettification would also be welcome.

I think you may assume that all the "Notes" fields will be publicly
editable by May; I can see no great benefit in restricting access to the
notes. Full editing of the rest of the data set is not planned for May.
Indeed, some parts should probably never be editable (e.g. the published
figures). We will have to draw a line somewhere in between, and probably
implement a permissions system of some sort.

I have repopulated the database from the CRA spreadsheet. The amounts
should appear positive now. :-) This version retains the partially broken
COFOG codes as published by the government; I will upload William Waites'
fixed version once I've worked out the best representation.

Let me know what you think. Best wishes,

 	Alistair

PS The aggregator is unchanged since the previous version; the changes I
recently proposed are still on my TODO list.