[wdmmg-discuss] NUTS regions

Alistair Turnbull apt1002 at goose.minworks.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 17:01:51 UTC 2010

Preparatory to adding population data to the database, I have learnt a bit
about the NUTS coding system for geographical regions. Here are some
useful links:

 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenclature_of_Territorial_Units_for_Statistics
 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUTS_of_the_United_Kingdom

The official list of all NUTS3 regions (EU-wide) is here:

 	http://simap.europa.eu/codes-and-nomenclatures/codes-nuts/nuts_2008.ods

Within the UK, the NUTS3 regions are further subdivided into two levels of
Local Administrative Unit: LAU1 and LAU2. The official list is here (very
detailed):

 	http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/ramon/nuts/excel_files/UK_LAU_2007.xls

For the CRA (spending data) we only have spending localised to NUTS1
regions.

Lisa has found population data indexed by (I think) LAU1 (one level more
detailed than NUTS3):

 	http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Expodata/Spreadsheets/D9664.xls

For the moment it is probably only worthwhile to put the NUTS1 data in the
database. I will copy by hand the relevant totals from Lisa's data into a
CSV file, and then import that. For the longer term, it is clear that we
can get excellent population data!

 	Alistair