[wdmmg-discuss] super easy way to let us know about spending cuts

Lisa Evans lisa.evans at okfn.org
Thu Aug 19 14:47:14 UTC 2010

I agree with all of this Rufus. Thank you for defining the tasks nicely.

I'll just add a few sentences about the reasoning behind capturing the
spending cuts.

I was asked a very good question the other day: "If the Treasury announce
the spending cuts, then isn't that announcement enough to tell you all
about the cuts?"

The answer is that when the Treasury announce a round of cuts, they define
the cuts in two ways:
1. they name some specific programmes they will cut. This is enough
    information.
2. they also announce departments that will need to reduce their budget by
    a defined amount. This is not enough information, as it isn't always
    clear what the consequences of the all the departmental budget cuts
    will be.

The May budget announcement is an example of this:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_04_10.htm
http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/press_04_10.pdf

The Guardian put together a spreadsheet of this announcement.
In this spreadsheet have also been answering this exact question about the
consequences of departmental cuts, see the 'cuts by department' tab:

https://spreadsheets4.google.com/ccc?key=tAfsbLETVcHZaX6T071a_yg#gid=0

So the way to get the consequences of cuts is to watch the department
announcements, to see how they are going to meet their new budget.

Pasting a link to these announcements into our form will help to complete
the picture of the cuts.

The Audit Commision last week is another good example of the kind of cut
we are interested in.

So if you keep an eye on the news then please keep in mind our form if you
see a cut, it is just a matter of pasting a link here:

http://www.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/cuts/submit/

Many thanks,

Lisa