[wdmmg-discuss] Sunburst visualization of WDMMG data using javascript protovis

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Aug 26 15:25:35 UTC 2010

Over the weekend I had a first stab at creating a pure javascript
visualization of data from WDMMG data store:

<http://www.wheredoesmymoneygo.org/wdmmg-js/src/sunburst.html>

This shows spending breakdown by department then region for 2008-2009
and uses the protovis library. I should emphasize that I don't think
Sunburst is probably the best view on this data. This is really an
experiment to see how much can get done in pure javascript. At the
moment it isn't too dynamic -- next steps are to allow clicking into
particular slices and having a year slider (using jquery ui).

What it does do is:

* Load data live from the data store (Ajax)
* Reformat it into relevant tree structure for protovis
* Render it
* It is also doing things like loading relevent keys and using human
friendly names for things (e.g. Department for Work and Pensions
rather than Dept039!).

For those interested source code in playing around themselves source
is here (obviously you can view the js files directly online as
well!):

<http://bitbucket.org/okfn/wdmmg-js>

Rufus
--