[wdmmg-discuss] A data model

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Feb 16 17:55:53 UTC 2010

On 16 February 2010 16:34, Liz Turner <liz at iconomical.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is a good overview, which looks quite close to the material we've been
> reviewing from the visualization perspective.

Indeed: Alistair and I reviewed your guys previous post on this in
detail -- we just hadn't got round to writing back until now ;)

> The incredibly simplified model we've been working with breaks down like
> this:
> * Value: how much
> * Date: over an applicable time period
> * Location: regional area, national or overseas spending
> * Spending agency: who spends the money
> * Spending item: spending details of how, and on what

This looks (looked!) good, though I think in terms of the domain model
we may want to think how these particular attributes attach to
particular entities (e.g. Account versus Transaction). However, from
your perspective what matters is the API you're presented with, and if
this is what is wanted this is what the store should provide :)

> This is a narrative which makes sense to the user, and can be applied to
> multiple perspectives in the "pivot table" sense which Alistair describes.
> We will be basing visualization designs on this model.
> more here:
> http://wiki.okfn.org/p/Where_Does_My_Money_Go/Data/Data-specification

This is what Alistair and I were reviewing last week along with the
existing "Store" page. The store page is where we're store/domain
model stuff:

<http://wiki.okfn.org/p/Where_Does_My_Money_Go/Store>

I've uploaded the domain model diagram we produced last night there.

(Before you ask, I did link to this before [1] and it is linked from
the main wiki page but perhaps not prominently enough ...)

Regards,

Rufus

[1]:<http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/wdmmg-discuss/2010-January/000009.html>